Thursday, October 9, 2008

HURDLES

funny how the word HURDLES brings different images to mind. For example as a child it was the high school track meet, and whether or team would get first place or go to the state finals.

As a "grown up" HURDLES include bills, and getting a job, and finding a place away from our parents house to move too.

Then we get married and have HURDLES that include....SHARING everything, and usually arguing more than when you dated LOL.

Finally as parents we have HURDLES for our kids, about our kids, and just raising them in today's society. This whole blog centers on how that "God only gives us what we can handle" and "That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger" Well that is all true, but being a parent is tough. I mean we can just beat up that mean kid on the corner who is picking on your kid, or we can't have the teachers all give them "A's" for each class. And we can't predict what THINGS we find out about our kids when they get to school.

The past few weeks have been a roller coaster with my 5 yr old. See he is currently being tested at the school, with a neurologist, a developmental pediatrician, and who knows who else. He appears to have ASPERGER SYNDROME. Which is a form of Autism. So now I have the NORMAL HURDLES to deal with and this. Lots of parents deal with this everyday, and I am in awe of their strength. Today I realized that I now have to be one of those parents. He has good days and bad days, and yesterday he raised his hand in class and WAITED to be called on. OMGosh my heart skipped a beat when I read that, because I had a brief moment where I thought its OK he's doesn't have any issues, he's just misbehaving...see he can do it. I do realize that this is probably not true, and we can't FIX it all. But baby steps here are now praised more than before. We can do this...and I know that this too is a HURDLE we will overcome/adapt too.

I guess today as I look at all I have in my life, I realize that this is just a SMALL HURDLE, and its only that till we have answers and find ways to adapt to the changes we all have to make. I also know "this will make us all stronger" and hopefully ready to face the HURDLES the future holds for them all. I am a strong mom, and I am a good mom, and today I can honestly say that I have put that HURDLE in my life to rest. Now I guess I'll move onto the next one.

To my blogger friends have a great Thursday and know that alone we are strong, but TOGETHER we are all INVINCIBLE, and if you need me I am here for you.

No comments: