Saturday, September 25, 2010

Still amazes me....


....that there is actually a list of challenged/banned books in this country. Being back in school and finishing my English degree has me thinking about how many books there are out there to read, and how many books are no longer accessible to us, or our children. There are many books on this list, that I might have no interest in at all, but I don't believe they should be banned or off library shelves.


Did you realize in some places in the U.S. Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary has been pulled of shelves (10 books you might not expect to be banned)? Kind of sad to even think about now isn't it. Oh and it was pulled for the definition of "Oral Sex." I'm not sure that the definition is so much worse than what our kids can find on television. Anyway, I am including the link to the original article, and the link to the top 100 banned/challenged books.


Even if you don't have an opinion about this, its interesting to see what is on the list that you actually read throughout your life.




No comments: