Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Changes are....

....inevitable. I know that we can't keep our little ones from growing up, or stop our big ones from getting any older, but someday I wished I could. This morning I dressed my youngest [baby] boy in dress pants, dress shirt, and tie to go to his kindergarten graduation. I remember every single moment of his life from the temperatures TRYING to get pregnant, to a dog bite in his face, to the dx of Aspergers and the uncertainty that he'd make it to 1st grade this year.

So today started out saying good by to my baby boy and hello to my big 1st grader. I am so very proud of how far Seth has come this year, and although I am nervous of some back stepping into his next adventure, I know now how to help him, and I think that as long as we stay focused, and understanding of his "special-ness" that he'll be ok, and so will I.

Now earlier I mentioned that I can't stop my big one from getting older, and I can't. We are ordering his Letterman jacket, and his class ring all w/in the next month, and he has to register with the NCAA on the off chance he plays football or wrestles in college...OMG college. But I walked into the auditorium at the high school tonight for what will likely be his last band concert of his life. Oh how I have enjoyed seeing him up on that stage, and having played low brass for a few years (in my past life LOL) I always hear his part above those woodwinds. But he is likely to drop band to get in a few more electives that will help him in college. I support it with a heavy heart, because one I don't want him to grow up so fast, and two I LOVED band, and I he plays so well that I just feel bad. But as the mom of a teenager I have learned that we can only STEER them in the direction we want, they still make their own decisions.

So today went from youngest to oldest with changes, and it was overwhelming a bit but I survived. I missed my husband seeing Seth today and I know he would have melted when he saw that handsome little boy of ours walk up and get the "most improved" student award, or when pomp and circumstance played, but I know he's way more prepared than I am for this. His words when I said graduation on Tuesday were "only 12 more years...so start preparing now we know it takes you a long time" LOL...and he's right.

But what I wanna know is if as mom's we are ever prepared for the "cutting of the apron strings?" Changes are inevitable and although variety is the "spice" of life, I'm occasionally all for being stagnant LOL.

Have a great night everyone.

No comments: