Saturday, May 30, 2009

Life Lessons....

.....the other day my sister said "its only a life lesson if you learn something from it" and technically she's right. But then I thought about my life, and how MANY, MANY...well TOO many to count times I have had to relearn the "life lesson." Now does that mean I didn't learn it the first time, I'm really stupid, or does life change so much from year to year, month to month, day to day, or moment to moment that it may "TECHNICALLY" be the same life lesson but is it really? Circular writing here at the moment....but hang in there MAYBE it'll go somewhere before the end.

So lets assume that technically its the same life lesson, but all the players and locations have changed...doesn't that therefore make it a new life lesson? See my son's are given a lot of leeway when it comes to their "mental health" days from school. That's one of the benefits of being home, is I can work their day off into my schedule. But year after year (well not every year but you get the picture) here we are at the end of the year and they want a day off....well no can do, you already took your days off this year. So the pissing and moaning continues. I can say (another GREAT mom moment in my life BE KIND) during the first deployment (which I have already fessed up too that I did CRAPPY and so did the kids) Osten took on a whole new role for himself and our family...so I never said NO (never fear I have learned LOL) if he wanted a day off. It's 8th grade and he's already got classes scheduled for 9th and guess what the report card says "retained for attendance" OMG I almost crapped...where did I miscount, what the hell do I do now. Well luckily where we were ALLOWED him to work the 5 days after school let out from 8-2 (cleaning/stocking/ whatever they needed to close up shop) and he got his days counted and did pass. So should he have learned to not skip school or should I have learned or in the best case scenario should BOTH of us have learned?

Well here we are...another deployment, the end of the school year, and whiny kids. NONE of them can miss days (well they can a few but their grades are crappy this year so they CAN'T miss any days) but it got me wondering if EITHER of them learned one darn thing from the "retention" report card....or do I truly suck as mother? I mean WTH is wrong with me, other than the fact I like them home...um well 98% of the time LOL. But I did LEARN and I say NO go to school...be the state's problem for a few hours (not that they are truly problems but you see where I'm going). I just don't understand where their work ethic is? I mean their dad works like a dog and always has....he doesn't take time off work for and he has reported off exactly 2 times in 17 years...so I guess genes doesn't play a role in whether work ethics are ingrained LOL.

So here I sit with two kids who can do better than they have this year, work ethic ONLY applied to the things/classes or sports that they want to apply it too, and whining that they want a day off. So wanna know what life lesson I learned in this whole blog....

Take this straw, suck it up and go to school, get a darn diploma, go to college, get a job, and get a house of your own...and for the LOVE of God don't bring me home your laundry.

I am having this printed up on white t-shirts for all of us to purchase ROFL. Think our kids will ever learn the life lessons we already know or are the destine to just make the same darn mistakes we did?

No comments: