Friday, May 22, 2009

My littlest boy...

....for those of you who follow my blog or are my friends you know that our son Seth was dx with Asperger Syndrome last October. Its been a trying time in our house, with doctors appointments, and testing, and special appointments to help him, and us adapt to what his "normal" is. See most of us have our own view of "normal" and Seth has taught us that sometimes that view isn't all its cracked up to be, and that looking "outside the box" truly can make us better people.

Asperger children are unique in lots of ways, and amongst themselves. Most of the time they have traits that are similar, but no two Asperger children are the same, so although we have a support system, the Aspie parents we know don't have all the problems we have and we don't have all they face. It makes life one of those ROLLER COASTERS that you can't get off of, but LOVE to ride.

Seth is extremely "literal" when he talks to us. Now that means that sometimes his "fixations" (which are also normal with Aspie children) at the moment dominate our conversations. As parents we tell our children we love you forever, or to the moon and back again...ya know there's a ton of examples, and its what we are comfortable saying. So in helping Seth adapt over the years we would say things like you know "mommy and daddy love you forever?" And he'd say yes, and it would force him to "think" about it. Then in true "mommy" form I'd say "do you love me?" Answer yes, which led to the "how much" question. These type of questions encourage Seth to focus on the question AND the answer. Now Seth, God love him, as always responded back with things like I love you "2 days" then it was "100 days" then up to "200 days" and since his focus was numbers not time we just would say OMG I love you 100 days too. But this morning he said to me "mom I love you forever and ever." I almost cried, well I did cry just not in front of him.

Seth has taught us many things over the past 6 years of our lives (even before we know how "SPECIAL" he is)....and the one thing I know in my heart is that he has made us better people, and a better family. Ya know everyone says "life is so short, don't waste it." And that's true, we do need to focus on what's important and the things that we love, but today I want to focus on the fact my son loves me "FOREVER and EVER" just in case he never says that to me again, I want to remember how I feel today at this exact time in my life...and I want to LOVE it.

Happy Friday everyone...Hope that Memorial Day finds you all with nice weather and lots of family around you.

2 comments:

navywife6 said...

just as a side note today he loves me 2000. So see why I was so moved yesterday? Who knows when I'll hear that again.

Anonymous said...

oh boy, can I relate to "literal" LOL and inflexible is another one we face....but "literal" can create a lot of laughs in our house....we really have to think about what we say and how we say it to Violet.... too funny!